Tuesday

Coconut Oil as Face Moisturizer

Something  I've been doing for a month now is, I've replaced my face moisturizer with virgin coconut oil. I know it sounds crazyyyy but, it's working really well with my acne prone and sensitive skin, seriously! I've been using PCA skin moisturizers for a couple years and it's just a little more expensive than I'd like.

I read that you can use coconut oil on your face and was really skeptical and thought it would cause all kinds of problems for my skin but, I tried it anyway. After a month of using it, I'm happy with it and will keep using it! Using coconut oil as my nightly moisturizer does a good job of keeping my skin balanced and feeling/looking plenty moisturized, it hasn't caused my skin to breakout and its hasn't clogged my pores.



Since it is oil your face will be oily when you put it on but is soaks in after about 30 minutes. I apply it right before I get in bed so I'm not all oily all evening. Also, I apply it after I wash my face! You have to wash your face every night! This is the moisturizer I use after I wash with my Basis face wash on my Clarisonic Mia and then use Neutragina Toner. If you just put coconut oil on your face and don't wash it you will absolutely get breakouts.

I wouldn't use this as a daytime moisturizer because again it is shiny and oily on your skin. I use this sunscreen in the morning which moisturizes my skin plenty.

I bought my Coconut Oil at Trader Joe's. A big ol jar for about $6 that will probably last me several months! That's a cheap face moisturizer and it smells great!

Something else coconut has done for me lately is helped me replace Coca Cola (I love it so much) with sparkling water mixed with a little coconut water. I'm not saying it tastes like Coke (because duh, it doesn't) but, it gives me something sweet and carbonated which is really the best parts of Coke to me. This little concoction over ice is great and helps me not need a coke, its calorie free and there's no artificial sweeteners (which I refuse to drink/eat b/c I think they taste horrible and they are bad for you).

Yay for coconut products! I feel like coconut is so popular right now! Would you ever try Coconut Oil on your face?


8 comments:

erin e flynn said...

I use coconut oil on my face too! Although not every night. I'm trying to use up the products I have. Love coconut oil though!

Jen said...

I'v never tried it on my face but I have used it as diaper rash cream on my son. Worked amazing.

Katie said...

I'm intrigued! I love anything coconut, and have skin that is prone to dryness and breakouts. I'll definitely consider this next time I need moisturizer! I've been using Yes to Carrots lately, and I like it, but it's pricey!

Melanie said...

I bought some coconut oil for cooking today and I noticed the jar said it could be used as moisturizer. How funny that you posted about it on the same day! I too have acne prone skin so I'm glad to know it's ok to use. I'm definitely going to try it!

Melissa Enault said...

Thanks for linking up at the GFC Blog Hop today!!

Jeni Q said...

I might just have to try that! Sounds like it could be just what I need!

I nominated you for a fun little award over on the blog - come say hi =)
http://twoshadesoflovely.blogspot.com/2012/07/what-honor-liebster-award.html

Anonymous said...

Besides the topical benefits (which are amazing), taking in a quality grade of coconut oil regularly (example: mixing a tbsp with some bee pollen and honey) can do wonders for you... Many health benefits! But watch out because it is high in fat (albeit, the good kind).

Lorenz Moore said...

There are three essential sorts of skin natural medicines: implanted oils, ointments, and creams or salves. Implanted oils are made by soaking spices in a transporter oil like olive or almond to extricate the restorative plant constituents that will help relieve your skin.