Monday

Thoughts on Voicemail

I changed my voicemail message today to say, "I'm sorry I missed your call but I will call you back as soon as I can," instead of "If you leave your name, number, and a message I will call you back as soon as I can," because I feel like it is a given that people will leave their name and number.... I mean, we've all been calling people and leaving voicemails for a while now so I don't think anybody really needs specific direction anymore. I feel like the personal message before you are allowed to leave a voicemail should be a friendly hello, and reassurance that I will call you back.

But, we shall see if all of my voicemails from unknown callers just says "Hey, I'll be waiting for your call back" without leaving any call back info, then that will teach me to be more specific in my message.

source

Do you get annoyed when you need to leave a voicemail and the message before you are able to leave your message is super long? I do.

The other silly thing that I think the phone companies should do away with is the lady after the personal message of the person you are calling that says, "To leave a call back number press 1, to ......" you know what I'm talking about. All I'm waiting for is the beep. I find myself rolling my eyes at this part of the voice mail leaving process because I have never left a call back number and I know that after the beep, I can speak, that's all I really want to do here.

source
Maybe all of this direction from people while trying to leave a voicemail is necessary, maybe people need to be told exactly how to leave a voicemail... but I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts on this topic or am I the only one that feels this way?

No comments: