Thursday

A Thousand Splendid Suns, By Khaled Hosseini- A Book Review

My Rating- 5 stars
When I look at the world through my American lens, it is almost impossible to imagine that in this past decade, women and children anywhere in the world are experiencing oppression and abuse as extreme as Khaled Hosseini describes in his novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns. It seems impossible that women in this decade could have no voice, but, in Afghanistan this is life.

This powerful novel will open your eyes to the past 40 years of history in Afghanistan by following the story of two unbelievable women. This book helped me understand more about the rise of the Taliban and how people caught up in the transition really feel about it.

This is definitely not a light read but I certainly learned from it and feel compassion for the voiceless in this novel. It is maddening the way women are treated in this society. I'm glad Hosseini has been able to educate us on what Afghanistan and it's people are like through this novel and his other novel, which I also highly recommend, The Kite Runner.

Read this book if you are looking for an educational and convicting read.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this book, Michelle! You are right in saying that it certainly opens your eyes to the atrocities that occur everywhere, but specifically in Afghanistan.
(I'm on Kyna's computer, but it is Ali!)