Thursday

Steamed Green Beans and Cheesy Squash

Thanks to our garden, I haven't had to go to the grocery store yet this week! I usually go 1-2 times a week for things but, this week, we've eaten off of the veggies and a rotisserie chicken ( I always make sure to have a whole roasted chicken in the fridge to add to salads, quesadillas, and many other things easily, quickly and cheaply!).
Cheesy Squash, Green Beans, Ravioli

Last night I made steamed green beans by boiling about an inch of water in a pan, adding the beans for 2-3 minutes, drain then let the beans cook in the same pan on low with about a tbls of olive oils, a clove of garlic chopped, some chopped onion, salt and pepper until everything else is done, about 8 minutes!




I also made roasted cheesy squash, this stuff is really really good! Set the oven to 425, slice your squash (I prefer long ways) and rub with olive oil. Lay out on a baking pan with some onion pieces (for flavor) add salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. I only cook it this long so that the squash is still a little firm and isn't cooked into oblivion so, if you want softer squash, cook it for 15-20 minutes, but you will need to flip it half way through cooking if you cook it longer.

When you take it out of the oven sprinkle a little cheese on top!



We also had chicken and mozzarella ravioli (I buy this at Costco!).

Good dinner with some of it coming from our garden!

Next, exercise. I've been running and lately I've tried to throw some strength training back into my routine. Side Note: After walking around Chicago for several days last week, I felt really healthy and firm, I wish I did more walking in my everyday life! I sit at my desk way too much!

Anyway, I love the Nike Training Club app and worked out to it one day this week (you should try it if you haven't already!) They have great strength training workouts.

But, yesterday I discovered the two cutest girls that run a business called, Tone it Up! They have workout videos on YouTube that they do on the beach! Yesterday I did the Malibooty workout, it was tough! Check out some of their fun videos if you're looking for new workout moves.

I struggled this week to get motivated to work out I think because it's been 90 plus degrees everyday! But, as long as I just start working out, after about 20-30 minutes I feel good and like I can keep going, it's getting started that's the hard part. So, if you're feeling drained from the heat right now too, just make yourself workout and then you'll get your groove and will be able to get through a workout!

Tonight I'm going to my first blogger event! I'm so excited! Of course I'll tell you all about it and have photos tomorrow!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yummmm!! i can't wait to have a veggie garden someday :)

Lori said...

Looks like your garden gets a good haul of nutrition!!

Ruth said...

It looks delicious! I'm usually not a fan of squash but I'll have to try it with cheese!