Tuesday

The Iron Lady

My husband and I went to see "The Iron Lady" over the weekend! The main thing that stuck out to me was that Meryl Streep did an amazing job at becoming Margaret Thatcher. Update, I just saw that Meryl was nominated for an Oscar- Best Actress for her role as Margaret Thatcher.

The Real Margaret- Source

Meryl- Source

The movie is about the first female British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher. I thought it would be sort of chronological but, the movie bounces between Margaret as a very old lady to other times throughout her life.

I didn't walk away feeling like I learned a great deal about Margaret Thatcher (I really knew nothing about her before seeing this movie). It was more of a movie that appealed to my emotions instead of pulling me into a historical story.

In most of the movie, Thatcher is very old and has hallucinations of her dead husband. It is very sad to see a strong bright woman turn old and senile. Much like "The Notebook" you see the devotion of two old people that have spent so many years together that it is too sad for them to have to live without each other. While this movie is sort of sad it is also very sweet and endearing.

The movie was much different than I expected it to be. I thought I would come away with more of a history lesson and have a chronological understanding of her life and time as prime minister. Instead I think the movie focused more on who Margaret Thatcher was as a person by exposing the pains she felt from being a successful woman instead of primarily a wife and mother and the way that haunted her into her very old years.

I enjoyed the movie and I'm glad I saw it. I can't say that my husband really enjoyed it because it bordered on being a little too emotional/sweet/love story for him.

Like I said in the beginning Meryl Streep did an insanely good job at becoming Margaret Thatcher. You just have to see it to really appreciate it.

This is no light-hearted movie but, I think it is definitely worth seeing!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I love Meryl Streep and really want to see this movie! Thanks for your review of it!
Just dropping by from Hollie's linkup. :)

Holly
http://adventuresofholly.com