Thursday

The House at Riverton, By Kate Morton- A Book Review

My Rating- 4 stars
This is the second novel I have read by Kate Morton and it is safe to say she is one of my favorite authors!

The House at Riverton is a mega intriguing page turning mystery! The story is set in England during the early 1900's and is centered around the family that lives in the House at Riverton.

The narrator of the story is one of the maids, Grace, that started working at Riverton when she was 14. As Morton unwinds the story, you learn that Grace knows more about the events that took place at Riverton than anyone ever knew. At age 99, Grace decides it is time to tell a big secret she has kept to herself for decades to her grandson.

What I love about this book is that it paints a picture of what life was like for British society people and the people that served them. The story takes you through WWI and into the 20's and paints a vivid picture of a way of life that is long gone. Like I said, this is a page turner, but I could tell early on that I wouldn't get the answers to the novel's mysteries until the end of the story. It was a satisfying read but I wish the excitement was spread throughout the novel a little better.

Overall, it is a GREAT book and I can't wait to read Kate Morton's third novel, The Distant Hours!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

i just finished this book, even though i didn't like it as much as "forgotten garden" it still was an enjoyable read and i really like Kate's writing.